Discussion Questions--be sure to read the footnotes.
I. Divide the poem into the following sections.
II. Does "TA" demonstrate the qualities of poetry described Preface? Give examples of why or why not.
- 1-22: Begins with a natural scene. The speaker returns after five years--movement to speaker's thoughts/Hermit (reading from the NA website). What has changed?
- 22-49: What nature has meant to the speaker while absent. Focus on the second gift, beginning line 36. The last lines are difficult ones, so just try your best--see NA website.
- 49-57: Doubt that follows the seeming optimism of the previous section?
- 58-83: Stages of the speaker's life--see footnote 3. What time has past (line 83)?
- 83-111: Another difficult section--try your best here. How the adult is able to maintain a relationship with nature. Optimism here? Role of nature?
- 112-134: Doubt again? Why? Speaker invokes his sister.
- 134-159: What role will the speaker's sister play? How does the poem end (tone)? See NA website.